The one specified by mdoc is hard to read for non-native
speakers from countries which read the date day-first (like
Germany, Greece, North-Korea, Swamp,...).
This is also consistent with how we generally specify dates
1) Refactor manpage.
2) De-globalize local values.
3) update usage().
4) sort local variable declarations.
5) fix wrong argument in strtonum (3 -> 1).
6) argc-argv style, boolean style.
7) check bytes > 0 before accessing b.lines[i][bytes - 1]
relying on len only makes sense but let's not push it.
7) don't break on maxlen > (chars - 1) / 2. This didn't even
8) _correctly_ calculate cols and rows in a readable way.
9) Rewrite loop over rows and cols in a readable way and
using putchar in a loop instead of printf-magic or fputs
where not necessary.